Thursday, November 12, 2015

New Design: The Dunrossness Hat

UPDATE: Kit available for purchase!

I've been working on a book of mitten designs, and part of that process is spending hours combing through stitch dictionaries looking for inspiration and design ideas.


In one of my favourite colourwork books, I kept coming back to this terrifically elegant and classic Shetland pattern. I knew it wasn't going to work for the mitten I had in mind, but I loved it so.

When a package of grey and white yarn arrived at my front door, it seemed like divine intervention: a two classic colours, one skein of each... just enough for a hat, and two lovely contrasting colours.

And here is the hat that resulted: Dunrossness. Named for a town in Shetland, it's classic in every way, right down to the pompom on top. Why mess with the perfection of a colourwork hat with a generous pom-pom on top?



A kit is available for purchase here, and you can enter here to win a free kit.  Contest closes midnight tonight, November 16th, and is open to everyone - if you're a Craftsy member already, use your login credentials. If you're not a member, you can still enter (just don't forget to uncheck the box if you don't want to be added to the mailing list).

(Although, a word to the wise: late-night pom-pom making is not something I'd recommend. Ask me how I know.

)




1 comment:

Sabrina said...

It is a lovely hat!