Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Leftover Sock Yarn Blanket Update

A while ago I blogged about a project idea: the Leftover Sock Yarn Blanket.

The idea is to create a crochet blanket out of my sock yarn leftovers. I started in August with a tiny square leftover from my most recent socks, in Colinette Jitterbug:


In October it had grown a little, and I'd added in yarn leftover from a pair of socks in my book, Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock in Autumn Flame


I've been working on it on and off, adding in bits and pieces from the leftovers bucket over the past few months.

The other day I decided to give it a quick block to see how it was looking.... 


and it's now over 30 inches square.  There's some Koigu in there and Socks that Rock, and some of the last Vanderrock yarns, and two different Zauberballs.  Up next: I've got a bright orange.

The neat thing about crochet is that you've only got one live stitch, and so with the simple clip of a stitch marker, it's secure and can be used as a blanket.  


I'm keeping a bag of sock yarn leftovers with the crochet hook.  My plan is that this blanket will live on the sofa, and every time I feel like a bit of crochet, or after I've finished a pair of socks, I can dip into my bag of leftovers and add a round a two.  


I just have to figure out how to make sure the dog doesn't eat the marker... 



No comments: