Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just in Time For Spring: The Puffy Vest Pattern

Because where I live, Spring is all about layers. The sun is shining, and we're all keen to ditch the heavy winter gear, but it's not very warm yet. These sorts of things are perfect - I can feel springy and lightly dressed, without freezing to death.

And if you're anything like me, you get tired of your winter clothes long before it's warm enough to dust off the summer gear. So a new, warm-but-not-too-wintery vest may be just the thing you're seeking to change your look and enliven your wardrobe.

And trust me, this is an incredibly fast knit. I created my first one in less than 48 hours, and I knitted a second one in a handful of days.

As I've commented before, I have a soft spot for chunky-weight mohair. But it is a difficult fibre to design with. It knits up big and puffy, and the resulting garments can be suffocatingly warm.

This reinterpretation of the hoodie vest harnesses these challenging properties of the mohair and uses them to great effect. The puffiness is what makes this a fun and attractive style. It's sleeveless so it knits up quickly and uses little yarn; this feature also ensures that you don't overheat.

It designed it to be worn fairly fitted and cropped, to keep it flattering.

Pattern available on Patternfish and Ravelry .


No comments: