Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Olympic Knitting: It Is a Challenge...

Last winter Olympics, I knitted my very first major lace piece.

My world has changed a lot since then - all for the better, no question - but I have significantly less time to knit for myself. I'm a working designer these days, and spend most of my time on design samples and commissioned work. I love it, don't get me wrong. It just means that most of my knitting is "work" knitting.

And knitting to deadline is part of my daily life.

Right now, I'm working hard to finish a lace piece for February 19th. It's wonderful, I'm very happy with it - but it's definitely a scheduled knitting project.

So for the 2010 Knitting Olympics, my challenge will be to find time to knit something for myself.

If I can get my lace assignment done a little bit ahead of schedule and be efficient with the next assignment, then I can carve out some time to challenge myself with my Olympic knitting.

I have decided, after much consideration, that my Olympic knitting for 2010 will be to...

(drum roll, please)...

finish a sock.


Seriously.

I completed the first sock of the Forest & Trees pair last August, while enroute to Sock Summit. I'm very happy with it, and have published the design, and regularly show the single sock at my sock knitting classes, but it remains unworn because it lacks a mate.

I did manage to cast on for its mate sometime around November, but haven't got very far with it. I'm enormously keen to wear the things.

So I'm going to finish this sock.

Hey, it's all about a challenge, right? Trust me, this is going to be a challenge.

2 comments:

KarenJ said...

It's clear to me that you aren't carrying that sock around with you. Think about it. How many hours a month do you stand waiting in a grocery store line? That sock, in a little bag, out of your purse and on to your wrist, (my daughter uses Knitpicks' version for her grocery days), is worth probably a row per bag of groceries, so, depending on the size of your family...Have kids? Same for the Dr.'s office or just waiting in the car to do an after school pick up.

Good luck in the "Olympics". You can do it! Go for the gold!

Veronika said...

Great idea!
My personal Olympic knitting project is to finish a hat for my daughter!