Wednesday, April 29, 2009

So Very Very Proud; Maybe Also a Little Jealous

A student in one of my project classes (we shall call her Clementine, for reasons she will understand), is a newer knitter.

She came to the first class with a pattern, a ball of yarn, and a very specific project request. The Silk Sleeves from the book One Skein. They were to be a gift for a coworker. Worked in Kidsilk Haze.

(A picture of another knitter's version can be found here. Ravelry pattern page here.)

Now, Clementine seemed like a sensible girl, and although she was a newer knitter, she seemed careful and confident with her needles. And the sleeves are worked in stocking stitch, so we got her cast on in the first class.

I did strongly suggest she change to metal needles from the original plastic ones she had, and they definitely seemed to help.

What I didn't tell her was that Kidsilk Haze is my nemesis. This yarn defeats me every time I try to work with it. (Now, Clementine had one thing working to her advantage - she had chosen a light colour. Me, I insist on picking dark colours. And attempting lace with it.)

And I'm very very proud to announce that our fearless knitter absolutely ROCKED the silk sleeves. She did an absolutely amazing job. They're perfect, and beautiful, and I'm in awe.

Once they were done, I sheepishly confessed my little issue with Kidsilk Haze. I don't know whether Clementine was happy or distressed to hear this -- but either way, she has a great gift to show for her work -- and she'll never be afraid of any yarn again.

No comments: