Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thank You, Mr. Postman - Harmony DPNs

The KnitPicks Harmony DPNs arrived!


Woo hoo!

They're lovely -- very pretty to look at. They're smooth but I wouldn't call them slippery.

They seem very hard, which is good. I've been bending my bamboo DPNs...

It doesn't look that extreme, but you can certainly feel the bend as you work with it.

The points perhaps aren't quite as sharp as I'd like, but they are a hair sharper than the bamboo points, and I do think that their hardness will help a lot. I'm only working a plain sock with them right now, so will get you know as soon I start into a fancy stitch sock.

I only ordered three sets: 2.0mm, 2.25mm and 2.5mm. I have a beautiful set of Lantern Moon rosewood 2.75mm DPNs, so I didn't need any more in that size. And I very rarely use anything so big as 3mm for socks. Am working with the 2.25mm set right now.

And perhaps the best thing of all: they come in sets of 6. Although I'm not in the habit of losing DPNs, I have been known to sit on them.... Anyone have any idea about their breakability compared to bamboo?

The gorgeous sock yarn in the picture above? Sorry, can't say a lot... it's classified TOP SECRET... I'll let you know about it when I'm allowed to. I have to say that the yarn is absolutely fabulous, though... it's a blend of wool, the obligatory nylon, and possibly some other delicious things which might or might not include silk and alpaca. I'm going to have a hard time mailing these off to their proper home when the time comes, I fear.

No comments: