Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Project?

Just finished the book Julie & Julia, written by Julie Powell, the Long Island secretary who cooked her way through all 524 recipes of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume 1 -- I understand this detail is important) in a single year. It's a companion to the blog she wrote while completing the project.

I read the blog a few times and was amused, amazed and awe-struck by the whole thing. It's a good read, if more of a general memoir than just a book about cooking.

It made me wonder -- what would be the equivalent feat for a knitter? Knitting every single Elizabeth Zimmerman design? I'd need more than a year, though. Knitting everything in her Knitter's Almanac wouldn't be out of reach. Of course, it would help if I liked her designs. I admire her technical ability, her sense of inventiveness, and her innovation, but I really can't get excited about the shapes she creates. Not what I'd call flattering.

Something to ponder, anyway.

No comments: