Thursday, October 13, 2005

Colour

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to be able to spend the day with Brandon Mably, assistant and protege to the unparalleled Kaffe Fassett. Big thanks to Lorena at the Sheep for making it happen.

I'm not particularly a fan of their work. I'm a texture girl, rather than a colour girl. Anyone who's met me in real life knows that I tend to do one colour at a time. (I also don't like that everything they do is hugely oversized and often seems to come in a single size. But that's a separate rant.)

I discovered a couple of things: that I really am terribly cautious with colour, and that I shouldn't be.

More can indeed be less. The first few rows into the kaleidoscope swatch were an affronting mish-mash. But by the time a few inches were done, well.... I can only compare it to the effect of a Turkish carpet. The colours and constrasts all blend together to create an... an effect. The key is to look at it as on overall piece, rather than to consider the elements.

And I will confess that this whole "weaving in your ends as you go" thing does make the process more pleasant. It was worth it just for that.

I look forward to seeing where this takes me. Maybe I'll finish that houndstooth felted bag...

(The third thing I learnt is that Denny makes great pie.)

No comments: